There are many ways we can do to continue to hone our skills and increase our confidence in public. One of them is to learn from those who are experts and become masters. Like Michael Port, New York Times Best Selling Business Author, who shares his public speaking tips in an article on entrepreneur.com.
Here are some tips that we can apply to continue developing our public speaking skills:
1. Make public speaking a performance
You certainly know that in a company, an employee’s performance will always be taken into account. If employees have good performance, not only their work will be completed quickly, but also the company will give appreciation for their achievements. That’s what happens when we make a public presentation a performance. We must be able to find a way to be able to continue to show the best in front of many people. Because when we can do that, no one will hesitate to ask us to do that again.
2. Build trust the first time you try
Have you ever seen a speaker try to make a big impact at the beginning of their conversation? This is indeed important to do. Because the percentage of making the audience’s trust at the beginning will be our investment during the event. There are many ways that can be done. But before asking your audience to agree on any idea to be the same, try to gain their trust first.
3. Have a big idea
A big idea doesn’t always have to be different. This idea is not about what you say to your audience, but how you say it to those who listen to you. Focus on sharing ideas and connecting your audience. And when you’re close to your audience, that’s where you can make an impact.
4. Make a promise to yourself
In addition to having a great idea, you also have to believe and not even hesitate to make promises to yourself. Big ideas will allow us to speak according to our performance. And the promise will make the audience believe in us. This does more than just entice them to continue listening to us.
5. Show Pain before Gain
When you introduce the benefits of what you say, people may not believe what you say. But when you come up with a strategy that puts pain and then healing behind them, they may come back to wonder if you’re doing it right. That way your audience will be more likely to take action.
6. Organize using a framework
A clear structure will make it easier for you to remember what you will say when speaking in public. This will also help the audience understand what you are saying. Choose one of the following five templates:
– Numeric: This framework is quite easy to use and flexible too. Like when we have 60 minutes of time for a presentation, we can deliver all the material. But when we only have 20 minutes, then we can convey 3 important points that you have compiled well before.
– Chronology: You may have to create a step-by-step for this presentation. So you can follow the sequence and make it easy for you and your audience to follow.
– Problems and solutions: Audiences want you as a presenter to be able to solve their problems. For example, you might show a lot of people being nervous when speaking in public, and then you can share ways to overcome their fears.
– Comparison and contrast: If you have two different concepts, you can use both. Like explaining the pros and cons and solving a problem.
– Modular: This framework works very well. Because the presenters will divide the day into 3 modules.
7. Create a great experience
A marketing expert, Scott Stratten focuses on creating great experiences for his audience. He made sure that people who came were also learning and also felt they were using their time properly. Likewise, make your presentation fun. Because people will learn more effectively.
8. Be nice to other people
To help everyone have a great time, you have to have a great time too. When you focus on yourself, you will lose the attention of your audience. But when you involve them, they will not hesitate to actively participate in your presentation.
9. Don’t copy some techniques from other people
Most speakers will copy what other speakers do. As a result, they will sound the same. You may be able to see their way, but not to apply and shape yourself like them.
10. Keep on speaking in public, and make it important
As more and more people communicate online, you might ask whether public presentations are going out of style? Certainly not. That’s the answer.
Public speaking is becoming more important because people expect you to be able to appear in person, including online. You can use video calling applications such as Skype. Through webinars, your audience will feel more comfortable talking to real people. It will also help you build audience trust.
So, what about the 10 tips above? Have you found and tried any of those 10 ways? Now you have the opportunity to improve your skills in public speaking or performing in public. No more reason to be insecure because of this and that. You can also try to hone your public speaking skills through the “Public Speaking” seminar. You can see more information on the following page. ️