35 Unique and Interesting Facts about the Asian Continent that You Must Know
|Unique and Interesting Facts about the Asian Continent. (Image: AdityaTekno)|
AdityaTekno.com – Asia is the largest continent in the world. The continent which has an area of about 44,579,000 square kilometers or about 30 percent of the earth’s surface area, is also the most densely populated continent in the world!
It is estimated that around 4.46 billion people or more than 60 percent of the earth’s population are on the Asian continent. In addition, 3 of the 4 most populous countries in the world are in Asia, namely China, India, and Indonesia.
The continent of Asia is east of the Suez Canal and the Ural Mountains, and is south of the Caucasus Mountains, Caspian Sea and Black Sea. The continent, which recognizes more than 2300 languages, is divided into 48 countries, three of which are Russia, Kazakhstan, and Turkey, which have a share of land on the European continent.
In addition to the facts above, the Asian continent still has many other unique and interesting facts that you need to know. What are those? Come on, see the following review!
35 Interesting and Unique Facts about the Asian Continent that You Should Know
- More than 4 billion people and 30% of Earth’s land area, Asia is the largest and most populous continent on Earth.
- The highest land point in the world, Mount Everest (over 8,848 meters above sea level), and the lowest land point in the world, the Dead Sea (-395 meters), are found in Asia.
- The 6 popular religions in the world are Islam, Christianity, Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism from Asia.
- If you’re in Japan, you’re not allowed to be fat because it’s against the law, unless you’re a sumo athlete.
- Asia is bordered by 3 oceans in the world, namely the Indian Ocean in the south, the Pacific Ocean in the east, and the Arctic Ocean in the north.
- Bhutan, located in Asia, is the only country in the world that exclusively prohibits the use of tobacco.
- 90% of the total rice in the world is consumed in Asia.
- India is the largest producer of mango in the world. Each year it produces about 12 million tons of fruit.
- Of the 10 tallest buildings in the world, 9 are found in Asia.
- Only 2 countries in the world, China and India, have a population of over 1 billion people, and both are in Asia.
- The 10 largest shopping malls in the world are all located in Asia.
- Asia’s richest man, Sir Ka-Shing Li, dropped out of school at the age of 15.
- Of the 10 largest cities in the world (by population), 7 of them are in Asia.
- In Japan, there are more than 50,000 people who have exceeded the age limit of 100 years.
- The most spoken language in the world is not English, but Mandarin, which has more than 1 billion speakers.
- Of the 3 countries with the largest economies in the world, 2 of them are in Asia, namely China (second) and Japan (third). The first position is occupied by the United States.
- In 2012, there were more millionaires in Tokyo, Japan (460,700 people), than in New York City (389,100 people).
- The Philippines has the slowest internet speed in all of Southeast Asia with an average speed of 3.54 Mbps.
- The Asian elephant is the largest land animal in Asia.
- Tigers, Giant Pandas, King Cobras and other unique animal species originate from Asia.
- According to the 2001 Census of India, India has 122 major languages and 1599 other languages.
- The largest country in Asia is China with 9,596,950 km² and the smallest country in Asia is Macau (30.5 km²).
- The longest river in Asia is the Yangtze river located in China, has a length of 6,380 km, which is also the 3rd longest river in the world.
- In a small town in India, called Sholapur, newborn children are thrown from the top of a 50-foot tower to bring them wealth and good luck.
- China is the third largest country in the world but only has 1 time zone.
- The largest country in the world is in Asia, namely Russia with 17,000,000 km².
- Indonesia is the world’s largest producer of palm oil.
- The 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China are the most expensive Olympics in world history, which is estimated to cost around 40 billion dollars.
- Borobudur Temple in Indonesia is the largest Buddhist monument in the world.
- The Philippines was the first country in Southeast Asia to gain independence after World War II, in 1945.
- South Korea is the largest market for plastic surgery per capita in the world.
- North Korea has the largest flagpole in the world, measuring 98.4 m high and weighing about 272 kg.
- The Philippines is the world’s largest exporter of coconuts and tropical fruits, such as papaya and mangosteen.
- The Philippines is the only Christian-majority country in Asia, accounting for about 80% of the total population being Christian.
- India has 6 seasons namely summer, autumn, winter, spring, dry season and rainy season.
Well, that’s 35 Unique and Interesting Facts about the Asian Continent that you should know. If something is still missing and you want to add it, please write it in the comments column. So that others can know too.
Also Read: 20 Interesting Facts on the Australian Continent that You Should Know
That’s all for today’s post, hopefully it can add to your insight. See you in the next post. Greetings AdityaTekno.com.