April 25, 2017
1 min read
We will discuss how to configure HotLink protection in cPanel in this tutorial. This feature allows you to block other websites that use file links (eg image files) on your website. If you don’t use this feature, other websites can use your images directly, and this can increase your hosting account’s bandwidth usage. Fortunately, cPanel already has a feature that can protect links called HotLink protection.
What do you need?
Before you begin the steps in this tutorial, make sure that you:
- Have access to cPanel hosting account
id="Langkah_1_Akses_Fitur_HotLink_Protection">Step 1: Access HotLink Protection Features
Please login to your cPanel and click on the HotLink protection menu located in the column Security.
Step 2: How to Configure HotLink Protection
The following is an explanation of the HotLink Protection feature.
- Enable – Button to activate HotLink protection. If you want to add website who can use the file link on your website, please read numbers 2-6 below.
- URLs to allow access – Please enter the website that you allow to use the file link on your website. By default, this column will contain your domain name.
- Block direct access for the following extensions (comma-separated) – Here you can separate the file extensions you want to protect.
- Allow direct requests – Please put a check mark if you allow access directly via browser. For example, images accessed via URL yourdomain.com/image.png.
- Redirect the request to the following URL – This option is useful if you want to redirect blocked requests to a specific URL. For example, a page from your domain (http://yourdomain.com/page.php).
- Click button Submit to save changes.
By now the files on your server should no longer be usable on other websites.
[ecko_alert color=”gray”]IMPORTANT – If the image or video on your server does not appear after this feature is activated, please check again whether your domain has been added to the column URLs
This tutorial can help enable HotLink protection on your cPanel. The existence of this function is able to prevent files from being used directly on other people’s websites. In the long run, this can secure bandwidth usage on the server.
Do you still have questions? Feel free to share it in the comments section at the end of this page! Then, don’t forget to click Subscribe to continue to get the latest reviews about the online world